Kalamazoo Valley Community College Food Hub Lab Assistants in Kalamazoo, Michigan
Do you have a passion for food? Do you thrive working on a fast-paced team? Are you looking for an opportunity to improve your knife skills and gain experience in food processing?
As a member of the ValleyHUB team at Kalamazoo Valley’s Food Innovation Center, you will assist in the operations of a demonstration food hub where we process, market, and distribute produce and other food products from local producers in southwest Michigan. We are seeking responsible, energetic, and motivated team members to help build up our product line.
Typical duties could include:
- Work with Food Hub team to complete large orders for processed produce, such as diced potatoes, carrot coins, and chopped lettuce.
- Operate mechanical and manual food processing equipment.
- Follow established processes for receiving, labeling, storing, and shipping orders; help manager and coordinators develop new processes as needed.
- Follow food safety best practices, including sanitation and temperature control.
- Assist College staff and community partners on educational programming for the Food Innovation Center.
All Food Hub activities are accomplished by a team. Food Hub Assistants are active team members. Self-motivation and contributions of new and creative ideas to accomplish necessary tasks are highly valued.
Appropriate education, training, experience and talents are requirements. An example of this would be 6 months previous experience in a food processing, preparation, and/or food handling position.
Skills needed include:
- Basic knowledge of farm operations and agriculture
- Knowledge of food safety and local food systems
- Skill in food processing and handling
- Skill in record keeping
- Skill in problem solving
- Skill in prioritizing tasks
- Skill in building relationships
- Skill in oral and written communications
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
ServSafe Manager certification preferred.
Posting Number: 201100599P
Job Title: Food Hub Lab Assistants
Location: Food Innovation Center
Full-Time/Part-Time: Part Time
Pay Rate: $9.80 per hour
Position Type: Staff
Physical Demands: Lifting, bending, stooping, and standing required. Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds on a regular basis. Must have manual dexterity; sufficient fine motor skills to manipulate objects and use equipment safely. Ability to work in a high traffic, noisy, indoor environment.
Work Hours: Up to 29 hours per week, Monday to Friday, some flexibility in hours.
Posting Date: 04/17/2018
Closing Date: 06/10/2018
Special Instructions to Applicants: If applicable, please provide a copy of your Servesafe Certification under “Other Documents”. KVCC reserves the right to conclude this search should a sufficient applicant pool be established prior to the posted closing date.
EEO Statement: As an employer, KVCC encourages, welcomes, and fosters differences because we believe that diversity makes us great. Diversity extends beyond race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, and encompasses people of all abilities, identities, circumstances, and characteristics. All qualified applicants will be given equal opportunity and consideration for employment; please consider joining us as we continue to enrich lives by teaching and serving our community with excellence.